Tuesday, October 12, 2010

First Day of Observation

Today was the first day of my observation period. It is different sitting on the other side of high school in that I'm not the student any more. Well I am the student as we learn all the time but it's still different.
I sat in on an ESL class which was awesome. They went over common phrases which could be confusing for non-English speaking people such as "paying through the nose" and "pulling your leg". Then they did presentations about Canadian music so that the students can know more about Canadian culture. The presentations were a good idea cause it made them talk in English.

Next I went to History 12 which made me happy. We talked about theWeimar Republic and the rise of Hitler and Mussolini. I was given a bunch of resources that I now want for Christmas such as Love, Hate and Propaganda by the CBC. It's a documentary about the role of propaganda in World War II with George Stroumboulopoulos. So all of that spells win.

I then went to a grade 9 Social Studies class. The kids were hilarious. It's such a big difference between grade 9 and grade 12. It's incredible.

I am now sleepy and going to bed.  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great first day to see a variety of classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how hard it must be for some ESL students. I spoke to one student from Brazil the other day about how hard it is for her to study Shakespeare - it's like taking on a third language! Something to be sensitive to, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be confusing. In the class there are a lot of kids from Brazil and from China. It's much harder for the kids from China because they have a different alphabet.

    ReplyDelete